Announcing the first ever GLRI Awareness Week!
The Great Lakes Restoration Initiative (GLRI) is the largest investment in the Great Lakes in two decades. In 2010, a task force of 16 federal agencies and many of the region's governors released the GLRI Action Plan FY2010-FY2014 (PDF) covering five urgent issues called "focus areas":
1. Cleaning up toxics and areas of concern;
2. Combating invasive species;
3. Promoting nearshore health by protecting watersheds from polluted run-off;
4. Restoring wetlands and other habitats; and
5. Tracking progress, education and working with strategic partners.
Install green infrastructure practices to reduce stormwater runoff volumes
Provide experiential learning opportunities for students - Green Teams: High School students paid to do "green" work during the summer
Enhance community partnerships