One in five U.S. homes have septic systems. Yours may be one of them. If your septic system is not properly maintained you may be risking your family’s health, hurting the environment, and flushing thousands of dollars down the drain.
EPA’s SepticSmart initiative is a nation-wide public education effort with resources for homeowners, local organizations, and government leaders. Learn how septic systems work and get simple, everyday tips on how to properly maintain them:
- How your septic system works – Do you have questions about how septic systems work? Do you know if your property is serviced by a septic system?
- Why maintain your septic system – Learn the benefits to keeping a properly maintained septic system.
- How to care for your septic system – Septic system maintenance is not complicated, and it does not need to be expensive. Follow these maintenance tips to keep your system operating reliably.
What to do if your septic system fails – Learn why septic systems fail and whom to contact if it happens to you.
How your septic system can impact nearby water sources - Septic systems can impact local drinking water wells or surface water bodies. The extent of this impact depends on how well your septic system is maintained and if it is used properly.
- Top 10 Ways to Be a Good Septic Owner PDF
- Quick Steps to Keep Your SepticSmart PDF
- SepticSmart Brochure - English PDF
- SepticSmart Brochure - Spanish PDF
All data & images courtesy of Environmental Protection Agency